The Montessori method of learning at Little Corner House
This space is created for children in the First Plane of Development, from birth to age six – a home away from home that encourages development in all areas: socially, intellectually, emotionally and physiologically. A place for children where they are free to learn, discover and express themselves in an aesthetically pleasing and well-prepared environment, with no fear of abandonment. These children will be encouraged to be independent by closely following the Fundamental Principles of Montessori Schools worldwide, and will not be subject to any prejudice especially with regard to colour, creed or personal beliefs. This is a children’s environment, a special place for them to develop their own psyche, in their own space and at their own pace.
There are really just eight basic principles:
4) Extrinsic rewards for activities (eg being offered money to get high marks in tests), impacts motivation negatively in the long run, and with devastating consequences if the offer of reward is withdrawn;
5) Working together (collaboration) is fun and more learning occurs naturally;
6) Learning through concrete mechanisms is so much easier to understand and apply than abstract contexts;
7) Adult interaction in a positive and non-authoritarian manner assists with optimal child outcomes and
8) Order in the environment is beneficial to children.
I will cover each of these in more detail with each subsequent article – the list is taken from Angeline Stoll Lillard’s: “The Science Behind the Genius”, a book I recommend highly to anyone who has an interest in Science and Education.